Saturday, March 29, 2014

Where Never is Heard



Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam,

And the deer and the antelope play,
Where never is heard a discouraging word,
And the skies are not cloudy all day.

Tony Needs a Sermon Week is winding down, and I would like to thank everyone who participated. It has been challenging, humbling, discouraging, and uplifting - depending on the attitude of the sermonizer. The main thing I got out of it was a reminder to keep my attitude in check when I'm the one preaching the sermon. I'm not always good at that.

I watch several sermons online each week. On Facebook, someone posted an endorsement of a sermon because of a specific statement the pastor made. I was curious, so I watched the 140 minute service. I never heard the statement. There was a space of a few minutes where the sound was turned down - or some technical issue - or maybe I dozed off. What I did see was a frustrated man. He expressed his frustration with the ushers, the camera operator, and the media person. He came across as controlling and manipulative. I pray that he takes time to rest, that his church supports him, and that they thrive in their mission. 

I have several others that were encouraging and eye-opening for me this week. If you have time, you may want to check these out. 

Tullian Tchividjian Inexhaustible Grace for an Exhausted World.
Chris Whitman The Value of Life
Holly Furtick This Time
Pete Hise No Other Name
Clark Whitten Stop Living in the Shadows
 

No comments:

Post a Comment