Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Source of My Identity

As pale as I am, I consider myself to be a black pastor. After all, some African Americans consider me their pastor. In that sense, I am also a gay pastor, a straight pastor, a poor pastor, a rich pastor, a fat pastor, a skinny pastor, a grieving pastor, a rejoicing pastor, a hockey-loving pastor, a football fan pastor, a corny pastor, and a serious pastor. The list goes on.

Some of these may accurately describe me, but I haven't taken any of these descriptions as my identity nor do I live their lifestyle. My identity comes solely from my Creator. He called me first to be his son, and secondly called me to be a pastor. That's why pastor is included with each description.

Before you start calling me a heretic, hear the words of the Apostle Paul, "I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you." 1 Corinthians 9:22,23 and from the New International Version, "I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings."

And if you're still skeptical, consider Jesus himself who fully identified with us:
 
God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
2 Corinthians 5:21
 
I am not commanding you, but I want to test the sincerity of your love by comparing it with the earnestness of others. For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.
2 Corinthians 8:8, 9
 
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing,  taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness."
Philippians 2:5-7
 
Photo Copyright (c) <a href='http://www.123rf.com'>123RF Stock Photos</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment