Tuesday, August 4, 2009

EXCITEMENT AND SURETY

Watched a couple of video interviews with pastors who have started churches from scratch. They were very encouraging. I believe that with God giving direction and us following closely and quickly, we will see this happen in ways beyond our expectations.

I've been drawn to 2 Corinthians 9 this week:
1There is no need for me to write to you about this service to the saints. 2For I know your eagerness to help, and I have been boasting about it to the Macedonians, telling them that since last year you in Achaia were ready to give; and your enthusiasm has stirred most of them to action. 3But I am sending the brothers in order that our boasting about you in this matter should not prove hollow, but that you may be ready, as I said you would be. 4For if any Macedonians come with me and find you unprepared, we—not to say anything about you—would be ashamed of having been so confident. 5So I thought it necessary to urge the brothers to visit you in advance and finish the arrangements for the generous gift you had promised. Then it will be ready as a generous gift, not as one grudgingly given.

I'll look at the rest of the chapter later, but for now the phrase that caught my attention is "your enthusiasm has stirred most of them to action."

Two things that I notice;

1) Enthusiasm evokes effort. "your enthusiasm has stirred"
Don't you like to be around people who show a passion for their job rather than people who are constantly complaining? If you need my help completing a project, bring in the cheerleaders. I can do most anything with a little enthusiastic support!

2) Enthusiasm is not enough. "most of them"
I was once asked if we were making progress on a particular project. I replied that it was going well and that we were excited about it. The man replied without an ounce of emotion, "It's good to be excited." I could almost hear him channeling Eeyore. But it's true, while excitement is good, it's not enough. Not everyone jumps on the brightest and loudest stage. Some people are motivated by stability and surety.

As we move forward, I am excited!! But I am glad that we have 20 years of vision and direction to give us a firm foundation. Hopefully, someone can look at me and say, "The vision God gave you and your passion to see it carried out has stirred everyone to action."

No comments:

Post a Comment