Monday, January 21, 2013

Don't Walk in the Dark

I was the last one in the church building for the day. I knew the interior and often walked to my office without turning on any lights. On this particular evening, after closing up my office, I turned off the interior lights and made my way full-speed down the dark L-shaped hallway.

I brushed my hand against the the wall as I walked so I would know where to make the turn toward the door. When the wall ran out I quickly turned to the left toward the door at the end of the hallway. Apparently, I had walked at an angle so that when I thought the wall had ended, I actually had just walked away from it. All I know is that one minute I was walking and the next I was on the floor holding my nose. I had walked face-first into the cinder block wall. I can still feel that pain 28 years later.

There have been times that I walked in spiritual darkness as dangerous as that hallway. I have since found that walking with Jesus helps me walk in safety. He doesn't always light the entire path, sometimes it is just enough to see the next step, but it always keeps me from walking into walls.

Come on, don't keep knocking yourself out. Walk in step with Jesus. He said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12 NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment