Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Unleash!: Breaking Free from Normalcy

A review of Perry Noble's new book.
 
In PHILIPPIANS 3:7-9, “Paul is saying that when he was unleashed to the idea of God’s amazing grace, he ceased celebrating the crap in his life and began celebrating God’s goodness.” This comes early in the first chapter of Unleash! and is an indicator of what you can expect in the rest of the book.
 
It’s no surprise that the book is written in the same straightforward manner that Perry Noble uses when he preaches. In fact, if you are familiar with his preaching style, as you read the book you will probably hear his voice reading to you - complete with his humor and infectious Southern brogue.
 
What was surprising to me what the subject of the book. It quickly becomes apparent that this is a book about grace. Since I was not expecting that, I went back to the Contents page and reread the chapter titles. They took on a new meaning in light of this subject, but I was still curious to know how a new book on grace would be different from others I have read.
 
At first, it all sounded familiar. Then, some statements challenged the idea that grace is solely a New Testament gift. “What was the one thing that distinguished the Israelites from the Philistines? The answer is simple: it was nothing more than the undeserved grace of God!” and “But in His mercy, God unleashed Abraham!” These were followed a few pages later with “That same unleashing grace is available for each of us, too."
 
As I continued to read, I was drawn into Perry’s personal stories and the challenges he presents through them. What I found by the end of the book was that this was no ordinary book about grace but a book about how believers live out the grace they’ve received. It’s about letting go of lies and taking hold of truth; letting go of self and taking hold of God.
 
I won’t spoil the book for you, but when you read it watch for what Perry calls The Great American Lie. Is it something you’ve been taught, something you’ve believed? Is it time to let go of the lie and embrace the truth of God? If you do, I suspect you will be unleashed in ways you’ve never imagined.
 
I am recommending this book to my church and friends.
 
Unleash!: Breaking Free from Normalcy
Copyright © 2012 by NewSpring Church. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment