Wednesday, November 16, 2011

An Eye for an Eye

We have become mean. The “kinder, gentler America” is a thing of the past, and we have become downright mean.

If you think you’re going to pull out in front of me from your driveway to the street, think again. I will run over you before I let you get ahead of me. I don’t care that you just got a call from your teenage daughter who was in an accident. Get behind me!

If you think I’m going to let you put your two measly items on the checkout counter in front of my cartload of the necessities of life, think again. I will first turn my back and ignore you as if you didn’t exist. In fact, I’ve never seen you before, so technically you don’t exist to me.

If you are overcome with grief because your child died yesterday don’t expect any sympathy from me. I’m going to sit on the couch watching Fox News with my bowl of Lucky Charms and speculate on how you probably killed the child. It doesn’t matter if I’m right or wrong, you’re wrong.

So you lost your job? It’s about time! There are at least two people who live in my neighborhood looking for work. You should have quit earlier so someone else could have your job.

You don’t think that sounds mean? Does it sound like justice to you? Are you always hoping for the death sentence or the longest incarceration possible? Are your favorite “news” anchors the ones who scream loudest? (They come in red or blue, take your pick.) After all, doesn’t the Bible teach “an eye for an eye”? Sure does, right there in Matthew 5:38. But be warned, you will want to avoid the pesky three verses after that.

1 comment:

  1. There is a lot of meaness and lack of respect towards other people. I have encountered a lot of it in the past month and a half. People talking on their cell phones through their whole transaction and I mean from when they walk up to you till the time they leave, not engaging in conversation. Some people will not speak when you speak to them. But there is good in some people. Some will ask how your day is going and when they tell you you are doing a good job, it makes all of that worthwhile. I try to focus on the good rather than the ugly who tends to steal my joy.

    ReplyDelete