Friday, September 17, 2010

NewSpring Leadership Conference

NewSpring Church, Anderson, South Carolina
Another week, another conference!  I think this is my last conference for this year - unless I'm invited to another one.  I am not a conference junkie, but this one was so close, and I admire the speakers.  I expected to receive a lot from the #NLC2010, and I was not disappointed.  I was pleased by several other things too: 1) The teachings were so Christ-centered.  Often, Jesus is left completely out as leaders are encouraged in their leadership skills and styles.  Not at this conference!  2) Lee and the worship team - despite the light show - faded into the background and let Jesus shine.  Please understand that I loved the light show, but generally you think the purpose of the lights is to illuminate the stage performers.  There were no performers, only worshipers. 3) I got to spend some time with friends that I didn't expect to see, and I got to meet some online friends. 

Here are some of my brief take-aways.

Francis Chan reminded us to walk in humble boldness.  Jeremiah 9:23-24 "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice, and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the LORD.

Mark Driscoll used the Apostle Paul's example in Ephesians 3 to show the benefits that came from the apostle's suffering.  He said that, according to verses 7-9, Paul's greatest treasure was the Gospel.

Steven Furtick I was excited to hear Steven live for the first time - especially since this was the day his book, Sun Stand Still, was being delivered.  He chose not to speak from his book, but gave us all a copy to read for ourselves. He did tell us how to respond to critics and nay-sayers.  Just tell them, "Jesus told me to."

Perry Noble, our host, stayed in the background the entire day other than to preach once and to introduce the evening speaker.  I got so much from his message.  One thing that I want to always remember is this: You will never know what God wants to do through you until you know Him.

Jud Wilhite may be the speaker that I would most like to spend some time with.  He and his church (the place where it's okay to not be okay) are reaching people in Las Vegas.  Two things we should remember: 1) As long as we reach out to the broken, we will always have an audience, and 2) We should see restriction as an opportunity. 

Judah Smith was a Pentecostal powerhouse!  He said that when you launch out toward a God-given goal but you haven't reached it yet, what you do "in the meantime" is the key to reaching your destination.  We tend to see delay as denial.  I won't post all of the notes I took here.  I'm sure this one was just for me!

Andy Stanley gave what I felt was the most practical and encouraging information for church planters.  He helped me see the tension between what is, what has been, and what could be.  I won't post those notes either.  I need to study it out and see what God will do through it.

I'm so thankful to Perry Noble and the NewSpring staff and volunteers for this incredible day.  I was so proud to have our staff there.  I know that this day will affect the life of Transformation House.

1 comment:

  1. I really wish I could have heard Judah. I have heard so many who were there talking about it. I want the dvds. Hopefully, they won't be too expensive.

    It was a pleasant surprise seeing you there. I didn't know I was coming until the night before, ha.

    Andy Stanley was great. For the record, I enjoyed F.C.

    ReplyDelete