Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Preaching to the Choir

Recently, I preached a sermon called Hearing From Heaven. I was trying to encourage the church to hang on doggedly to whatever word or vision they have received from God. Now, I'm getting the chance to live out that message. I knew as I was preaching that I was preaching to the choir - or to myself in this case. I asked them (and myself): What are you looking for? Direction? Answers? Strength? Money? New job? What you need is a word from Heaven! Listen to the voice of the Spirit and tune out everything else. For 20 years I have pursued one vision often with the encouragement of my family and friends. Now, that I am stepping out in obedience to what I sense is God's timing, I am resting on all the promises that He has given through these years, and all the ways He has answered prayers. Fortunately, many are documented through my journaling. I still have the encouragement of my family and many friends. However, it is not unusual for the voice of woe and despair to try to drown out the sound of faith and trust. So, let's take this little journey. I'm choosing to hear from Heaven and tune out anything else. I invite you to watch as I do - to follow me as I follow Christ. As Paul said in 1 Corinthians 2, "My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on man's wisdom, but on God's power."

No comments:

Post a Comment